Dental bleaching is perhaps one of the most desired kinds of dental treatment. It’s used extensively throughout the world by people who are desperate to improve the cosmetic appearance of their teeth by bleaching them to remove stains and to make them appear whiter. While it is a largely straightforward and successful procedure, tooth bleaching also has its complications.
These days, there are many different methods when it comes to bleaching one’s teeth. From purchasing kits that allow you to make teeth whiter at home, to visiting a dentist for professional and effective treatment, the common denominating factor in bleaching is that bleaching teeth involves using a form of hydrogen peroxide to bleach teeth white, much like we use on our hair.
Due to the huge number of home bleaching kits available as well as other non-dental options (performed by non-professionals), there have been many horror stories when it comes to dental whitening. The fact is that when performed by a dentist, it’s normally a safe and painless procedure. In fact while there are a few after-effects such as temporary hyper-sensitivity to hot and cold, it’s a largely risk-free and painless procedure that can be enjoyed by anyone.
Today, bleaching is a procedure that almost anyone can benefit from. While it’s true that visiting a dentist can be expensive, it’s also the easiest way to guarantee good results. Home bleaching kits are available, with the best on the market being the ones that utilize carbamide peroxide in order to bleach by fitting plastic trays to your mouth to which the bleaching agent is applied.
Generally, while home bleaching kits are more cost effective, dental bleaching offers quicker and more successful results due to the use of more advanced bleaching agents, expert application as well as additional technologies such as halogen-aided bleaching which uses directed light to help assist the process. A visit to a dentist that specializes in this type of whitening can have your teeth looking whiter than ever before in under an hour.
Thankfully, as mentioned bleaching is a relatively safe procedure, but due to the chemicals involved, care must be taken. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizing agent which when applied incorrectly can result in over-bleached teeth, sensitivity and in extreme cases even chemical burns. Because of this, many dentists do not recommend home bleaching kits due to the possible risks when applied incorrectly. Letting the bleaching agent over-bleach your teeth damages the enamel and surprisingly ends up in becoming yellow more quickly than before.
With tooth bleaching, it’s possible for just about anyone to get whiter teeth, with the only exceptions being pregnant women and children under 16 years old. Due to the fact that the nerves of children’s teeth are much larger than that of adults, bleaching would cause excessive sensitivity and perhaps also discomfort. As a result it’s a treatment best left for adults. When applied correctly, bleaching is a service that really can deliver a pearly white smile that’s envied by many.